Tip 4 ...
Simple changes could make a big difference to helping you save energy and your home feel warmer, without you having to pay out for expensive gadgets!
- Turn it down! many houses will have their central heating on higher than they need it, even without realising it. Try turning down your thermostat by 1 degree. Every degree you turn it down by could save you up to £60 a year.
- Close your curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping through the windows and check for draughts around windows and doors.
- Always turn off the light when you leave a room. It will save you energy!
- Don’t leave appliances on standby! Switch them of at the mains. This includes mobile phone chargers, turning them off at the switch when not using them could save you up to £19 a year!
- When you are doing the washing try to fill up the machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher. One full load uses less energy than two half loads. Set your washing at 30 degrees, most washing powders are designed to handle wash loads at this temperature, with harder stains use a pre-wash stain remover.
- Only boil the amount of water you need in kettle.
- A dripping hot water tap can waste enough energy in a single week to fill half a bath. Fix leaking taps and make sure they are fully turned off. If you are on a water meter this have serious effects on your water bill!
- Dry your clothes outside during nice weather so you don’t need to use your tumble drier.